Changes to How ACH Debits are Processed
Beginning Friday, September 15, 2017, the Federal Reserve will begin processing Automatic Clearing House (ACH) debit transactions on the same day they are transacted.
What Does This Mean for You?
Most purchases and payments made electronically will no longer have any lag-time. The same day the transaction is made is the same day the funds will be withdrawn from your account. Please be aware that payments made in another format (i.e. checks) could be converted to an ACH transaction and may clear from your AgFed Credit Union account on the same day.
- Avoid items being returned as NSF and overdraft fees by ensuring that you have enough available funds in your account the same day the payment or purchase is made.
- Set up your accounts with Overdraft Protection.
- If you have automatic payments withdrawn from your account on a recurring basis, such as monthly utility bills, verify the effective dates the payments will be made with your service providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is changing?
Purchases and payments made electronically will be debited from your account the same day.
2. Why is there a change?
NACHA (National Automated Clearinghouse Association) is implementing this change to allow for more efficient and faster transactions for all who use the ACH Network. It is a requirement of all financial institutions.
3. When will Same Day ACH processing take effect?
Transactions will post the same day they are transacted effective Friday, September 15, 2017.
4. Can I opt out of Same Day ACH processing?
AgFed Credit Union does not control when payments are processed. That is based on the decision of the originating institution, but all financial institutions, including AgFed, are required to follow this regulation.
5. Can I prevent overdrawing my account? If so, how?
To prevent overdrawing your account, make sure you keep track of your transactions, set up Overdraft Protection and ensure that you have more than enough funds available in your account.
If you have further questions or concerns, please contact the Credit Union at firstname.lastname@example.org.